Contents: Urban Area
The population development of Johannesburg as well as related information and services (weather, Wikipedia, Google, images).
|Johannesburg (Witwatersrand incl. Soweto, Krugersdorp, Randfontein, Benoni, Germiston, Springs, Tembisa, Kathelong)||5,914,919||7,860,781||→|
Source: Statistics South Africa (by adrianfrith.com).
Explanation: The tabulated population figures are derived from completely or mostly urban sub places according to the 2011 definition .
The 2001 and 2011 figures are not completely comparable because of boundary differences between the sub places of 2001 and 2011.
Some densely populated areas have been classified as "traditional" (and not as "urban") by Statistics South Africa and therefore are not considered here.
The aggregation of sub places to "reasonable" urban areas was done by »City Population«.
Further information about the population structure:
|Gender (C 2011)|
|Population Group (C 2011)|
|First Language (C 2011)|
- City of Johannesburg metropolitan municipality
- City of Tshwane metropolitan municipality
- Ekurhuleni metropolitan municipality
- Lesedi local municipality
- Midvaal local municipality
- Mogale City local municipality
- Randfontein local municipality
- Victor Khanye local municipality
- Westonaria local municipality